Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Switching Gears: Staying Inspired While Writing Online

Despite the fact that I love writing online, some days I just have a hard time getting into it. Whether I'm exhausted after a bout with insomnia, distracted by something going on in my life, or lacking inspiration, sometimes I'm just not feeling the writing online thing. Or I hit a brick wall after a couple of hours of feverish productivity. That's when I find it's best to switch gears.

Switching gears might mean writing online in a completely different format, doing some other online activity, or tackling a household chore just to get away from the computer for a while. Often, I come back completely refreshed and ready to write again. Sometimes, it's best just to throw in the towel, at least for a while, because any hope of writing online productively is futile.

Usually, though, I get back into the swing of things and avoid guilt if I stick to writing online in some shape or form. That's when this blog comes in handy. Or maybe I'll whip up a fun list or two for best5everything.com. Often, writing online purely for enjoyment -- financial considerations aside -- kicks my brain into gear and I'm ready to crank out some articles again. In fact, I sometimes get article ideas from these exercises, mainly from getting lost in the information labyrinth that is the Internet. For example, I might write an article expanding on a list I devised of the best five 70s detective movies or the best five ways to maintain a healthy digestive tract (don't look for these lists --- they're not there).

Writing online for multiple sites also helps me maintain some semblance of sanity. When I need a break from creating web content for a Textbroker client, for example, I might write a Factoidz review of an inspiring documentary. After writing about taxes or skincare for Demand Studios, switching to local articles for Associated Content provides a nice change of pace.

The resulting productivity is pretty satisfying. Just knowing that I was able to stimulate my brain to keep producing content is a little -- yes, I know this word is overused, but I'm gonna say it anyway -- empowering.

We freelancers spend our time writing online because we enjoy it. Although it's difficult to completely avoid boredom, I never want writing to feel like just another job. Mixing up my routine a bit allows me to get the most out of the writing experience, even if the subject is "How to Avoid Athlete's Foot" or "Choosing the Perfect Laundry Detergent." Switching gears reminds me that writing online, no matter what the topic, beats just about any job I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment